Today people are running towards a set path of being doctors or engineers. I ask, like any other struggling child of this generation that if we all would become engineers or doctors, who would be there to act or play guitar or sung for us.??
Many of you might laugh and say, “What kind of question is this.?? Nonsense.!!” but then giving it just a 2 minute thought, you yourself will realise the fact.
Isn’t it true.?? Why do we want our kids to walk that same travelled path again and again.?
Cant they just be something different, something with gives them opportunity to go beyond these books and experience the real world.?
And keeping such thoughts in mind, we bring forward many such alternative career options before your sight.
One such option is of being an air hostess..!! This field is rapidly growing and is in demand. please don’t think of it as feminine job because it is not.
This is a profession where the sky is the limit for the kind of money you’ll make is also satisfying. Air hosting as a career is a hot cake these days with well-paying and respectable job profile. Your job profile ranges from passenger safety to good public relations. It’s your job to make people feel comfortable during the flight and ensure their safety at all times.
Some people who have got fame and earned reputation as Air Hostess are :
1. Neerja Bhanot
How can any Indian forget the marvelous sacrifice that this girl made for her passengers’ safety. She made a mark in Indian history for many such air Hostesses.
Neerja Bhanot, AC, a Punjabi (7 September 1963 – 5 September 1986), was a purser for the airline Pan American World Airways, based in Mumbai, India. She lost her life trying to save passengers on Pan Am Flight 73, which was hijacked by terrorists during a stopover in Karachi, Pakistan, on 5 September 1986. She was shot while helping passengers escape through the emergency exits
Eventually, she became the youngest recipient of India’s highest peacetime award for bravery, the Ashok Chakra Award.
Her life and heroism inspired a biopic released in 2016; Neerja, directed by Ram Madhvani. We salute her bravery and dedication.
2. Gaëtan Dugas
For the ones who think being a Flight Attendant is a lady’s job, here is the example of a male Air Host.
Gaëtan Dugas, French (February 20, 1953 – March 30, 1984) worked as a flight attendant for Air Canada.
He died in Quebec City in March 1984 as a result of kidney failure caused by AIDS-related infections.
3. Ellen Church
In 1930, Ellen Church became the first flight attendant in the U.S. She was also a pilot but the long-defunct Boeing Air Transport airline wouldn’t hire her to fly planes so she took a job with them as stewardess. This woman of many talents was also a nurse and that became a standard requirement for flight attendants over the next several years.
So finally to make you guys feel in awe with the marvelous work they do, here are some things that you might didn’t know about being a Flight Attendant but are a must:
- Survival training is one of the many skills in cabin crew’s toolkit. They know how to create a shelter, gather food, find safe drinking water and attract help in any sort of terrain or dry land, which means you really are safe in their hands.
- Being overweight is strictly prohibited because then you will have the dress size issue. Once you’re issued with a uniform – you can’t change it for a size bigger just because you have grown overweight. The airline will give you one month to lose the weight – otherwise you will be put on a weight management programme.
- They are even trained in how to safely deliver babies until the emergency services can take over on the ground. Your little one might even find itself with free air travel for the rest of its life, as you have heard of it many-a-times.
So we hope you have a good journey because you don’t need to worry, we are here to make sure that..!!
Some Colleges/Institutes that offer courses for being The Cabin Crew are:
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training or F. I. A. H. T, Delhi
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Mumbai
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics or R. G. M. C. A.
- Universal Aviation Academy or U. A. A.
This can be a great alternative career options for people with confident personality and good communicating skills.