Dream about creating your own designs on your outfits? Crave for fabrics and accessories, their matching ? Want to do all this by yourself, using your own creativity ? Then this is the perfect line for you – Fashion designing.
Fashion designers create original clothing, accessories, and footwear. They sketch designs, select fabrics and patterns, and give instructions on how to make the products they designed.
On one hand it is a very demanding career that definitely fulfills ones dream of being creative and turn it into reality but on the other hand, it also provides you with all name, fame and status.
Fashion Designing basic process involves
- Exploring and research
- Sketching the original idea on paper
- Shaping the pattern pieces which make the garment
- The pieces are then drawn in actual size on paper and cut out on a rough material, stitched together and fitted on a model
- Modifications in the pattern pieces or other features of the mock-up are made and thus the design is completed
- Garments are then made in the final fabric
Designers for fashion trends
- Manage firms and fashion houses which produce exclusively designed garments collections. Fashion trends are set by fashion forecasters. Fashion shows of ‘Haute Couture’ collections are held for marketing these designs
- Fashion designers also specialize to
- Design costumes for stage artists, TV or film
- Carry out historical research and design research
Some fashion designers specialize in clothing, footwear, or accessory design; others create designs in all three fashion categories.
Employment Opportunities including other aspects
The opportunities for job exist in the following sectors:
- Export houses dealing with garment/textile/handloom exports
- Retail and wholesale garment businesses in men‘s/women‘s/children clothing in sportswear/casual wear, etc.
- Haute Couture
- Government/Semi government-handloom/textile manufacturers
- Fashion show organizers/Fashion publishers
- TV/Film fashion program producers/costume designers, etc.
- With Film production units
- Teaching design
Some Famous fashion Designers to boost you guys up..
Summer of 1999, Sabyasachi Mukherjee graduated from the National Institute of Fashion Technology, India with three major awards. Four months later, Sabyasachi started his eponymous label which began with a workforce of just three persons. Over the years, he has successfully built a clothing brand which has a very strong social perspective.
Early 2001, Sabyasachi won the Femina British Council’s most outstanding young Designer of India award, which took him to London for an internship with Georgina Von Etzdorf, an eclectic designer based in Salisbury. Returning home with edgier ideas, Sabyasachi started retailing at all major stores in India.
2. Ritu Beri
Ritu Beri is a New Delhi based international fashion designer. Ritu Beri’s name is synonymous with the explosive globalization of India’s fashion industry.
She was the First Asian Designer to head a French fashion brand, Jean-Louis Scherrer, in March 2002. Recently, she launched The Luxury League, a not-for-profit organisation, to promote creativity & innovation in the luxury industry of India.
Couturier, costume stylist, entrepreneur, social media influencer and revivalist.‘Manish Malhotra Label’ is synonymous with opulent, contemporary Indian couture and currently retails across Mumbai, Delhi, and Dubai amongst other global style capitals. In 2005, he launched his couture label. Today Label Manish Malhotra offers Bridal, Couture and Diffusion collections and currently retails at two stores in Mumbai and the Haveli store overlooking the magnificent Qutub Minar in New Delhi.
Now some of international Names
4. Ralph Lauren
The founder of America’s beloved fashion brand, Ralph Lauren stepped down as the company’s CEO in 2015. He remains chairman of the $7.4 billion (sales) company and also controls 82% of the voting rights. His son David, who is married to Lauren Bush (a niece of former President George W. Bush), became chief innovation officer and vice chairman of the board in October 2016.
5. Riccardo Tisci
The La La Land star and Best Actress nominee, Emma Stone wore a beaded golden dress from Givenchy’s couture collection—it’s actually one of Riccardo Tisci’s final designs for the brand before he stepped down as creative director.
Riccardo Tisci is an Italian fashion designer. He studied in Italy at the Design Istituto d’Arte Applicata in Cantu until the age of 17, and then graduated from London‘s Central Saint Martins Academy in 1999. In 2005, Tisci was given the title of Creative Director for Givenchy Women’s haute couture and ready-to-wear lines. Recently only he stepped down from that.
Top Fashion Designing colleges in India
- National institute of Fashion Technology (in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru,etc..)
(Branches all over India)