A medical student? Want to divert from that same walked path? Get into ayurvedic biology. Ayurveda is known as the oldest healing technique known to Indians.
This branch of medical science makes use of diet, meditation, breathing exercises, detoxification and purification techniques, massage, yoga, herbal and mineral remedies, etc. to create holistic healing methods and processes. Isn’t it great to let this traditional method come more into practice than those expensive surgeries and medications.
Ayurveda is founded on the belief that humans & nature should exist in perfect harmony and any imbalance causes diseases & ailments to occur. Ayurveda believes in prevention of illnesses and promotion of body’s capacities and balance. It works at the root of the problem rather than the superficial symptoms.
Ayurvedic career practitioner’s job is to find the cause of imbalance in the equilibrium between human & nature. He/She may employ Ayurvedic holistic techniques to analyse it & derive the best remedy accordingly.
One should also keep in mind that learning of Ayurveda is not that easy because the basic concepts, the role of causation, pathogenesis, diagnosis, the rationale for doing procedures, the basis for prognosis, and most of all, the preparation of medicinal formulations, are vastly different from what a medical student usually learns. So be well-prepared to work hard.
Ayurveda is one amongst the most blissful career for those who have concern for mankind and a dream to serve ailing humanity. The qualifications are as follows:
- The basic or degree level qualification for a Ayurveda medical profession is Ayurvedacharya (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery-BAMS) which is of 5 1/2 years duration (including 1 year internship).
- At the post-graduate level, there is specialization in 22 specialties leading to the award of MD Ayurveda or MS Ayurveda Degree of 3 years duration after graduation is available.
- PhD degree in the concerned subject of specialization is also available after post graduation in 3-7 years.
Colleges/Institutes offering course in ayurvedic biology
There are so many good colleges/ universities and educational institutes spread all across the country from where you can pursue the Ayurvedic courses. Some of these have been enlisted as follows:
There are many fields a person can go into after getting appropriate knowledge of ayurvedic biology.
- An ayurvedic practitioner would find employment either in Govt. or Private hospitals or Clinics.
- He/she can practise independently with their own Ayurvedic clinics.
- They may also find work as Supervisors in ‘Panch Karma’ (Ayurvedic massage)/ Health centers.
- One can seek work in Colleges & institutes as tutors or can work in spas in Hotels or Spa centers.