Advertising is a kind of mass communication. For any business or band to get fame and reach among the people, advertising has a crucial role to play. It is just like the oxygen for any organisation to grow. So no doubt, advertising job is influential and never-ending ones.
We all see so many advertisements in between the breaks on television. Not just on TV or radio but on internet too. Almost every website we open; YouTube or Facebook or any blog, we see so many ads being posted to publicize about almost everything.
So we can clearly get to the root of this job that if your advertisements are making impacts, are sticking to people’s mind and they can relate to them when they are in market, it is then you are succeeding in the advertising world.
- The advertising business now, as opposed to the past, constantly encourages you to think of new media, besides television, radio and print.
- Advertising is one of the most competitive career, we see thousands of ads today. So you can yourself feel the pressure building. You should have the ability to work under pressure.
- You need to have general intelligence, and knowledge. Ultimately, when you have a creative bent of mind, you are the most qualified. As far as art is concerned, people who go to art or design schools, are already creative.
- A working knowledge of Photoshop, Corel Draw and arts will be required if you are going on for the visualizing aspect of the job.
- You need to really hard-working and patient in the starting of this career.
The minimum requirement at the best post-graduate colleges is a 50 per cent mark on your graduation certificate.
There are also graduate courses where you could apply right after your 10+2 as long as you have the requisite marks mandated by the college you are applying to. There can also be entrances exams for the course in some colleges.
Colleges/Institutes in India offering advertising course
Some famous names in advertising world
Every industry has its stars, past and present, and advertising is certainly no exception.
David Ogilvy is perhaps the most famous, and respected, of those names. Often referred to as “The Father of Advertising” he left behind him a legacy of astounding work, powerful agencies and several books that have become must read for anyone who even thinks about getting into the ad business.
Lewis and Fitch are best known for their extraordinary 2012 campaign for the England-based news media company The Guardian. In a richly detailed, award-winning two-minute video, they showed off how The Guardian’s print, digital, and video departments would have offered 360-degree coverage of the fictional trial of the Big Bad Wolf (who blew down the houses of The Three Little Pigs).
Advertising in India is a $5 billion business. It’s ubiquitous, in your face, and is believed to be one of the most creative seen anywhere in the world.
So there are two broad divisions for the people who work in ads agency: executive and creative.
The creative side would have the copywriters, scriptwriters, photographers and visualizers while the executive side would consist of people working in the client servicing and media and market research departments. You must know what aspect of the job you would like so you can choose the side that you would be most comfortable working in.