Not every time engineering would end you up in a boring 9 AM to 5 PM boring job but something as exciting as game designing too. Gaming is one of the largest segment of the entertainment industry and a multi billion dollar one, flourishing widely across the world. For anyone that loves and lives to play video games, video game design can be a dream job. Game designers are part of the larger field of graphic designers.
Game designers are likely to be a part of a fast-growing industry as video game designers try to meet a seemingly limitless demand. Video game design refers to planning, designing, and creating video games. They will often work closely with other members of a team to create video games for computers and video game consoles.
They combine everything from graphic design abilities and computer programming know-how to creative writing talent and story boarding. For people with a passion for technology and interactive entertainment, video game design is a dream job, but even those with a slight interest in video games would jump at the opportunity to become a member of this fascinating industry.
Designing video games is a very specialized and challenging career. Today’s video game designers “invent characters, write dialogue, compose music, create digital scenes and write the software that rules these fantasy worlds.” Contrary to what some may believe, the majority of video games are not created overnight, or even in a few weeks. The majority of video games on the market today will usually take at least a couple of years to make.
Various Works as a Game designer
Video game designers often work as part of a team to create video games:
- They come up with the games’ concepts, characters, setting, story, and game play.
- Designers must work with artists and programmers to create the scripting language and artistic vision for a game.
- There are a wide variety of jobs in this industry too. People here may hold titles such as lead designer, game developer, game designer, interactive designer, lead mobile game designer, lead game developer, senior game designer, and many others.
- In addition to the entertainment industry, video game designers create interactive games for the mobile technology industry, education, advertising and marketing, web design, and many businesses.
- Once the initial copy of a game is created, a game designer might also help test it and work out any bugs or problems in it.
The market values self-starters, those with a diverse range of skills, and job candidates who make industry connections through attending conferences such as the Game Developers Conference or the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3.
Courses for this field are usually offered within the computer science or media departments. “Game design degrees incorporate courses in computer science, multimedia production, project management, quality assurance testing, game engines and business. Degree programs may lean toward the artistic or technical sides of the industry, but the most successful job candidates will have both”, says Andrew Greenberg, president of the Georgia Game Developers Association, a video game trade group.
Video game designers typically have a bachelor’s degree in game design, computer engineering, or computer science which takes four to five years to complete. Courses in a game design degree program may include project management, integrated video design and technology, game prototyping and level design.
Schools/Institutes in India for Game Designing
Game Design Most of us love to play games and spend hours on end playing games.
4. MAAC, Delhi